I’ve been nominated by my friend, Adite Banerjie to take the Liebster Blog Award Challenge. I had the privilege of meeting her when I went to L.A. for a screenwriting class.
What is the Liebster Blog Award Challenge?
When we’re tagged, we’re supposed to post eleven facts about ourselves and answer eleven questions asked by the person who tagged us.
But who is Liebster?
I have an inquiry mind, and I went out searching for the origins of this award and came upon this. Apparently, in some Liebster blogs, only three authors are required, so technically I’m good to go! I had fun participating in this chain letter. It’s also an effective way to get an introvert like me to talk about myself!
Before I get started, I’d like to mention that Unison will be available for free from April 24th to the 25th. I’m now working on the sequel, and I’m almost finished with the first draft. It has more of an adventure feel to it, and it was fun to write.
Now, on to the challenge!
Below you’ll find eleven facts about me along with the eleven questions asked by Adite.
Eleven Elementary Eleniisms:
1. I had a spontaneous Kundalini awakening when I was thirty. When it happened, I freaked out because I had no idea meditation could be a physical experience.
2. I lived in Speicher Germany for three years.
3. I lived in Auckland, New Zealand for five months.
4. I fronted my own original band in which I wrote the music, sung and played bass. I threw in a synthesizer later on.
5. I dislike going to movie theaters. I always get restless sitting in one seat for an extended period of time. Same thing with television.
6. I’m an ideological atheist. I don’t believe in anything. I also don’t formulate any belief systems from my own experiences, preferring to take them as they come, without judgement.
7. I recently discovered I have artistic talent. I always tried to draw in the past and failed in every attempt. One day, on a whim, I sat down and drew with my daughters. I was surprised over how well I did for my first attempt. My mother was shocked when I sent her a sketch of my father. It’s not perfect. I know. But that I could draw more than a stick figure shocked me, as well! This picture of Shri Ganesha took hours to draw. I suppose that’s why I don’t practice as much as I should. Maybe one day I’ll take an art class.
9. I’m a very social introvert and function comfortably in big groups, but I prefer solitary hikes in the woods.
10. I’m a total sci-fi geek and can’t get enough of Star Trek. Beam me into the theater for the next movie, Scotty! Yes!
11. I don’t care at all for fashion. I could wear the same clothes every day if I had to. Clean, of course!
Adite’s Questions and my answers:
1. What’s your favourite time to write or do creative work? And why?
Early in the morning when everything is quiet…and my daughters are still asleep!
2. What’s the first thing that crossed your mind when you woke up this morning?
Writing a chapter my current work-in-progress, The Sixth, which is Book Two of the Spheral.
3. What’s the one thing that drives you batshit crazy?
It’s a toss between people who talk on their cellphones loudly in public and people who swear loudly. The latter happened to me recently while I was working out at the Y. Every other word that came out of this guy’s mouth was f this and f that. And there was a sign on the wall that said no swearing! I’m no prude. I used to swear like a truck driver in my youth, but I still had the sense not to do it in a room filled with people!
4. Describe briefly any one unforgettable moment in your life.
My kundalini awakening and the birth of my two daughters. All three come in a tie.
5. Which is your must-do dream holiday vacation?
To hike the Himalayas and end up in Zangskar. My protagonist, Damon, in Unison does this. Such a lucky guy!
6. Fill this blank: At age 10 I dreamt of “being an actress when I grow up.”
7. If you could travel back in time which “period” would you visit?
The days of the first civilization on Earth, where ever that was. They say it was Sumer, but I have a strong suspicion there’s an even older one.
8. If you could transform yourself into a celebrity for one day, who would you pick?
I had to think of this one as I’m not into celebrities. The closest I can come to a celebrity would be the inventor, Nikola Tesla. It would be fascinating to see how he used his creative energy to make all his inventions. Fact: Some of the protagonist’s characteristics in Unison are modeled after Tesla, down to his fondness of pigeons. My protagonist admires ducks.
9. Complete this sentence. Fun is laughing with family and friends.
10. If you could change any one of your (bad) habits what would that be? (You’re not allowed to say you don’t have any bad habits!!)
I would never say that! I have a few I want to work on. Outwardly, I appear very neat, but should you dare open my desk drawer, you’d discover a plethora of gum wrappers. They can really pile up in there! I chew voraciously while I write.
11. Tell us something that excites you about your current project.
It’s an ambitious story and constantly challenges me to improve my writing.
Shawna Hansen answered her questions on her Facebook page
1. What fictional character would you love to be for a day?
2. What is the hardest aspect of writing for you?
3. What three historical figures would you love to share a cup of coffee and conversation with?
4. If you weren’t an author, what else would you be doing?
5. On you’re deathbed, far into the future, how do you want to be remembered?
6. Do you believe in the afterlife?
7. What is your favorite book, movie, and album?
8. Name the worst aspect of humanity?
9. Name the best aspect of humanity is?
10. If an alien landed on Earth and asked you to go with him or her, but that you’d never be able to return home, would you go and why or why not?
11. Do you believe intelligent life exists beyond this planet? Why or why not?